Marketing a Small Restaurant Business
As a small restaurant group competing in the heart of London's fantastic food scene, getting the most from Marketing, without spending thousands, is key in delivering the business plan for Inamo Restaurants.
We are frequently approached by third parties with marketing opportunities and the initial push back is always the same - Demonstrate how you have delivered an achievable Return on Investment, and share how many covers this will drive in per week. We then review these numbers, halve them and calculate our own ROI.
As with any small business, budget is tight and yet without driving awareness of the restaurants sales are impacted, so how do we do it? Well that’s top secret and if I shared all of our secrets then what would be our point of difference, but let’s look at a five cost effective ways to drive awareness in a very crowded space.
- Weekly newsletter to a database - Collect data from a number of sources to add to your database and send out a weekly call to arms newsletter, with awareness driving and tailored promotions. It’s not expensive to do this and it means you can communicate and drive repeat business. Seek to target and segment your data.
- Social Media - let your guests manage this - tailor your menu to drive instagrammable pictures and then sit back and watch them go viral.
- Publicise your wins - don’t be afraid to shout about award wins - you work hard for them after all.
- Reviews - Drive and incentivise your team to deliver solid reviews - This can make a huge difference to your online footprint. For example the better rating you have on Google reviews and the number of those reviews makes a difference to how prominently you feature on Google maps.
- Talk to the third parties you work with – can they offer support, can you collaborate? Can you put together special offers?